Sunday, July 21, 2013

Make it a Buddy Moment

When Sherrie Maricle, the famous jazz drummer, was in college with me, she told us about the moment when she decided to be a musician. "I was just a kid," she said, "and I went to see Buddy Rich play drums with his big band. That is when I knew I wanted to do that for the rest of my life."

Indeed she has. After her degree at Binghamton University, she went on for a masters and Ph.D. in percussion and composition. She has distinguished herself as a bandleader and music educator for the past thirty years, often leading the Diva Big Band, comprised of fifteen hard-swinging jazz musicians, all female.

Grace, Sherrie, Sam
Last night, we took our niece Grace and nephew Sam to see Sherrie and the Diva band perform. It was an outstanding evening! Sam is a wonderful drummer, and Grace plays the saxophone. I am hopeful that this could be a Buddy Rich moment for one - or both - of them.

Of course, Sam doesn't stand a chance of getting into the Diva band. But if she keeps practicing, Grace might.

This is what Good Uncles do: they try to influence the next generation to do something really cool with their lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment